Thursday, January 22, 2009

Ravenous for greens

My doctor recently turned me on to green smoothies. It has turned my taste buds upside down! I'm like ravenous for greens now. Over the past several years I've noticed that I feel my best when I'm eating lots of leafy greens. But I usually get tired of chewing a salad before I get full of it. So this simple approach to adding more greens to my diet has really given me the energy boost I needed to get through the holidays and now the January funk that usually follows the flury of holiday activity.

To get me going on the green drink, my doc recommend Victoria Boutenko's book "Green for Life". I highly recommend this book, a great read, full of great information about how and why to consume more greens. She mentions that soon after consuming more greens she started looking at greens differently. I've had a similiar experience. When I walk to the produce section I get excited about experimenting on the next green drink. She explains the importance of using a variety of greens in her book. So trying new things all the time is definitely the way to go. I look at a handfull of carrot tops, you know the green part, and think, "I wonder how this will taste in my smoothie".

It took me a while to get started because I felt like I needed to read the whole book and get to the recipe section. But now I realize how easy it is. So I thought I'd let you know what I've discovered as three simple steps to more energy. Take your blender, add two cups of water, one piece of fruit, and two large handfuls of greens. Blend. It's that simple. I feel great when I drink it regularly. I look forward to discovering what the next smoothie will taste like depending on the fruit or greens I have available. And I look forward to shopping for the next load of greens (and shopping is something I really detest). My favorite smoothie is pear and spinach with a hint of cinnamon and nutmeg. Also, most of the recipes I've seen have more fruit than I use, so if you're just getting started and want to sweeten your smoothie up a bit add more fruit.
For more information on Victoria's book go to http://www.rawfamily.com/index.htm

2 comments:

  1. Okay, I'm not sure I can get behind the green routine but I did want to share about those two little orange soap balls you gave me to try...they smell so great...what would happen if I ate them or added them to my blender?
    I love the scent, very orangy citrussy and smells oh so clean...and something textury..I think you said oatmeal but I don't really remember...pretty sure is was...do you use Quaker Oats?
    Well, whatever you use I am sure it's pure and high grade because this is some of the best smelling, love to suds up soap I've had in a long time...may have to actually splurge on the bar now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The soap balls I gave you were from the batch of Orange Oatmeal Handcrafted Soap that I made the day I wrote about "Painting my world". Yes the texture is oatmeal and while I could use Quaker Oats I generally try to find organic oats at the local co-op. I'm glad you like it! My nephew actually did take a bite of the Mint Chocolate Chip Soap and he reported that it did in fact taste like soap, so I don't recommend adding it to the blender. Thanks Joyce for your comments.

    ReplyDelete