Thursday, March 18, 2010

Gullible or empathic?

I just cannot take it anymore! I have just received a gazillion too many emails from foreign scammers. I just don't get it, are Americans that gullible that they keep attempting to prey on us. I get at least one email a week from a scammer with broken English attempting to hook me into some scheme. My favorite so far was the freight scam. They would "buy" 200 bars of soap that I would ship to an orphanage in Africa. I would commit to use the freight company they recommended and somehow pay the freight company while they didn't pay for my soap. I have to think these people are having some level of success or why would they still be attempting it? I'd like to believe that their success has something to do with the fact that we are empathetic. And they are so clever because every scam email I get has some appeal to my emotions. Using orphanages, and appealing to a cry to help an impoverished nation, etc. All stuff that I love, we love, to support. And then it's some pathetic scam trying to defraud me and using my empathy to do it. So sad.

1 comment:

  1. You must be way more empathetic than I am...I see very few of these types and I report them as Spam to my email service provider when they do show up. My position is that I know what charities I support and whether legitimate or not, I don't waste my energy, emotionally or literally on solicitations from others for my money...I have very limited resources so off they go to the spam file.

    ReplyDelete