Friday, June 11, 2010

Gluten free brownies

I get so many requests for this brownie recipe I thought I'd type it up once and for all and post it. I have this old tattered recipe card that's about 25 years old. One of the things I love about recipes is their history, every smudge and drip adds a little bit to the story. I got the original gluten-ous version of this recipe from Freda Stowers of Riggins, Idaho, a town where I did a lot of growing up. For many years this was our family favorite. When I converted to a gluten free diet this is one of those recipes that I started to experiment with. Over the years I've used a lot of different flours but I've found that the teff flour version is favored by almost everybody. I buy my teff flour from a local grower, The Teff Company. I buy it in bulk, 25 pounds at a time because I use so much teff flour in my gluten free household. But you should be able to find small bags of it at your local co-op or order the smaller bags from The Teff Company.

A little disclaimer is in order here though: these brownies are loaded with sugar! My personal needs have required me to cut out sugar, and eggs, and butter but since I have two boys who also eat gluten free I make these for them. This brownie recipe is just so scrumptious the way it is; I feel like my boys need some delectable options that rival the gluten-ous ones to keep them on their diet. So without further adieu here it is ...

Yummy gluten-free brownies

1 cup melted butter
2 cups sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp xanthum gum
4 eggs
1 1/2 cups teff flour
1/2 cup cocoa
1 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup nuts (if desired)
1/4 cup chocolate chips (if desired)

Melt butter. Add dry ingredients, eggs, and vanilla. Mix well. Stir in nuts and/or chocolate chips. Spread into a greased 9 x 13 inch pan. Bake at 350 degrees for about 25 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment