Friday, September 10, 2010

Aroma Inspiration - Part I

I am an aroma nut! Aroma can be so regenerating! And then some aromas can be rather debilitating! Chemical sensitivity has been a driving force behind so many of the handcrafted soaps and body essentials I create. What I've found is the synthetic component of fragrance is what's so disturbing to me. That's why I use all natural, nothing synthetic, essential oils. I use essential oils that are steam distilled from living plants creating plant essences. Steam distillation quite literally puts the essence of the plant in a bottle. Wouldn't you like to capture the aroma of this bouquet? My youngest son, apparently a budding florist, harvested and arranged these bouquets for me. Essential oils do just that, they preserve aroma for years to come.

While I am NOT an expert on aromatherapy I am a novice aromatherapy philosopher, that is I am confident about sharing my own experience and research into how aroma can impact our senses, but I am not a trained aromatherapist. I think I'll put that on the to do list.

In any case, I'm getting ready to post a "Pamper Me" sale on the webstore and I thought this would be a great time to share a few tidbits about some of the essential oils I routinely use and how our sense of smell can impact our well being.

Our sense of smell, one of our earliest developed senses, is amazing! Aroma passes through the nose, past the cerebral cortex right to the limbic system, the innermost control center of the brain. Aroma stimuli in the limbic system release powerful neurotransmitters that provide inspiration, feelings of well being, relaxation, and so on. According to Susanne Fischer-Rizzi "Within the limbic system resides the regulatory mechanism of our highly explosive inner life, the secret core of our being. Here is the seat of our sexuality, the impulse of attraction and aversion, our motivation and our moods, our memory and creativity, as well as our autonomic nervous system." (I highly recommend her book "Complete Aromatherapy Handbook, Essential Oils for Radiant Health")

Following are some highlights about some of the essential oils you will find in my all natural body essentials. Keep in mind that when essential oils are blended together they have synergy that can create distinct influences on mood. More on that in Part II.

Cinnamon Leaf Oil
– warm, spicy, sweet fragrance, smells just like cinnamon - stimulates creativity.
Found in Orange Spice & Red Hot Honey Handcrafted Soaps, also Island Sunrise Salt Scrub

Clove Bud– spicy, warm and sweet with antiseptic properties.
You might try Orange Spice or Shaving Spice Handcrafted Soaps

Lavender - lavender essential oil is obviously a favorite at Lavande de Bois (French for Lavender of Boise) – a spicy, sweet, woody aroma with a huge variety of applications for physical healing, however, most widely known for its ability to calm, stimulate, and refresh the mind.
Consider trying Lavande Bleu, TLC Bar, LaVader, or Lavender Mint Handcrafted Soaps or a lavender Salt Scrub or Hand Salve.

Lemon– smells like fresh squeezed lemons – antiseptic and detoxifying for the skin, refreshing and uplifting for the mind

Lemongrass– refreshing and mentally stimulating – great for those who have trouble getting started in the morning

Lime– a sweet and lively aroma – stimulating and refreshing

Orange– fragrance is sweet, radiant, and alive – stimulates positive mental energy – awakens creativity, stimulates happiness

Rosemary - a strong and clear scent – strengthening with antiseptic properties, good for sore muscles
Try Idaho Mossmint or Rain Gentle Facial Cleansing Soap

Spearmint – refreshing and cooling aroma – increases concentration and memory with antiseptic properties – used in aromatherapy for a large variety of ailments
Consider trying Coconut Mojito, Lavender Mint, Mint Chocolate Chip, or Idaho Mossmint Handcrafted Soaps

No comments:

Post a Comment